These nutritious no-cook snack bites are perfect for refueling after exercise or as a quick nibble when you’re craving something sweet.
• ½ cup rolled oats
• ½ cup quick cooking (1-minute) oats
• 8 dates, finely chopped
• ½ cup almond butter
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together well. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of mixture and using clean hands, roll and squeeze it into a tight ball. This recipe yields about 20 to 24 energy bites.
Nutritional Content (per serving):
Calories: 175 cal
Fat: 10 gm
Protein: 5 gm
Sodium: 95 gm
Carbohydrates: 19 gm
Sugar: 8 gm
Fiber: 3 gm
- Substitute other nut butters for the almond butter.
- Substitute honey or jam for the maple syrup.
- Add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder to the mixture.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the mixture.
- Melt 4 oz dark chocolate in the microwave, then dip the bites in it. Refrigerate on a plate or sheet pan lined with wax paper until chocolate is firm.
Join the Healthy Teaching Kitchen for cooking demos and new recipes on the 3rd Wednesday of every month at 12:30 p.m. at the VA Palo Alto Farmers Market (3801 Miranda Ave, Palo Alto, CA).